Who We Are
The management and staff of Fledglings Educare Centre believe that a daycare centre should be an integral part of the community in which it is situated and that mutual trust and respect between staff, parents, and children is essential to attain this.
We believe that children learn best by doing, by exploring their world using all their senses, and that play is the foundation of all learning.
- To provide an accepting, safe and nurturing learning environment for the children in our care.
- To promote the child’s holistic development by providing a balance of teacher- and child-led activities which focus on all aspects of the child’s development: social, emotional, physical, intellectual and creative.
- To work closely with the parents as their children’s primary caregivers and provide effective communication methods to help build our relationships with them.
- To maintain a calm and disciplined atmosphere using positive guidance techniques such as redirection and problem solving.
- To encourage the children’s own exploration of their environment by providing a variety of opportunities for experimentation and discovery.
Owner – Shamira Buhura Wallace
I was born in Uganda to Rwandan parents and received teacher training there. Moving to Rwanda in 2000, I was hired as a Grade One teacher at the country’s top private school, Green Hills Academy, an International Baccalaureate School.
I was then appointed a Vice Principal of Green Hills Primary School in 2008 and was promoted again to be Principal of Green Hills Nursery School in 2011. I expanded the school population from 255 children to 475 students, offering instruction to children aged 2 to 5. In addition, we operated a Day Care.
I received advanced Early Childhood education training in Singapore, where I qualified as a trainer of Nursery teachers. In addition, I attended courses in Early Childhood Education in Atlanta, Georgia and Washington, DC.
I am married to Ron, a retired Alberta School Superintendent, and have four children aged from 10 to 21 years. I am passionate about my work and, for the last five years, have dedicated my time to growing and building Fledglings Educare Centre. In my free time, I love spending time with my family and my 3-year-old Golden Retriever, Bella.
I look forward to meeting new families and continuing to build foundations with little ones.